It's the age of virtualization. From software to memory, from storage to data, to networks, every component of the IT Infrastructure is being virtualized to make enterprises more nimble and quick to respond to business challenges.
While a lot has been written about Server Virtualization, it is Storage Virtualization that is increasingly capturing the attention of CIOs and IT Managers around the world. Storage virtualization integrates innumerable, smallerstorage devices into a virtualized image of a larger device, powered by smart software (like that of VMware™, DNF's partner).
This arrangementfrees up pools of storage based on demandthat enterprises can use while also improving reliability and control on the data residing there.
In the early years, the most obvious benefits of Storage Virtualization were the ease of archiving, taking data back-ups, and disaster recovery. However, with time and more entrants into this new technology, enterprises have taken advantage of Storage Virtualization other ways, such as…
- Simplified provisioning:Storage Virtualization makes storage provisioning quick, easy and flexible.You can expand volumes, or batch-create volumes when required, and then securely assign them to different servers using different network interfaces.
- Data mobility: Storage Virtualization makes it easy to move, mirror or copy data from one location/device to another quickly, without having to stop any applications concurrently utilizing the data.
- Easy data recovery:You can take several images or snapshots of the data in the disks and enable quick recovery while maintaining integrity.
- Simplified backup: Since data resides on the cloud, it's easy to make tape backups anytime, eliminating dependency on staff or scheduling churn.
- Storage classification: Storage Virtualization makes it easy to categorize physical disk devices based on usage, cost or performance, thereby eliminating human error and the wrong allocation of resources.
- Reduce vendor risk: With Virtualization of Storage, you can take snapshots or live mirrors of primary data across devices. This makes it easy to move data from any device to any other device and reduce dependency on any particular class of device vendors.
- Simpler and cost-effective disaster recovery:Storage Virtualization liberates data from being associated with particular hardware. You don't need to maintain replicas of the hardware infrastructure across multiple locations. This makes it easy to recover data after an incident or disaster. This also implies that you can use low-cost storage at the Disaster Recovery site. Thin provisioning ensures you save on disk space, disk power, and hence, the total cost of your disaster recovery preparations.
- Overall cost benefit: Virtualizing your storage is a more centralized approach and eliminates the fragmented, and costlier approach of having separate DAS, SAN and NAS topologies, each of which require their own storage devices and management protocols.
It's easy to see, Storage Virtualization can have a significant impact on an organization's bottom-line and provides the much-needed edge in today's competitive marketplace. Contact Dynamic Network Factory today about your transforming your IT Storage configuration.